Saturday, November 19, 2011

In An Artist's Studio

Wow, it's been a while since I've posted here. Guess it's a good time to post now. I recently read, "In An Artist's Studio", by Christina Rosetti. (Here is a link to a video reading of the poem. It's pretty damn creepy.) Basically, it's a poem about the objectification of women, specifically during the Victorian Era. When I did a little research about the poem, I was interested to read that many of the models for the artist's painting during this time were prostitutes and other women deemed "outcasts" in their society. The artists themselves had no respect for the women, seeing them as objects instead of people, and painting them to be "perfect" instead of realistic. To me, this draws a sharp comparison to the photographer's use of Photoshop to make the "perfect" woman. (Watch here to see what i'm talking about.)

No comments:

Post a Comment